Friday, February 25, 2005

'Pod list

Jennifer's Veil - The Birthday Party
Hold Me Back - AC/DC
Another Pearl - Badly Drawn Boy
AM 180 - Grandaddy
Simple Things - Belle & Sebastian
Teach Your Children - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Almost Cut My Hair - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Dance, Dance, Dance (Alternate Take) - The Beach Boys
Julia - The Beatles
Good Day Sunshine - The Beatles
Hamlet (Pow, Pow, Pow) - The Birthday Party
You Can Only Do Wrong So Long - Tommie Young
Good To My Baby - The Beach Boys
No Hard Shoulder To Cry On - Julian Cope
More Alone With You - Alloy
I Know There's An Answer - The Beach Boys
Mod Lang - Big Star
Looking For A Friend - David Bowie
Blackbird - The Beatles
Live Wire - AC/DC
Blowing Up My Mind - The Exciters
Start Digging My Grave, Sugar - 1000 Violins
Nobody To Love - 13th Floor Elevators
409 - The Beach Boys
Frightened - The Fall

Ok so it's all random, (which is the only way the shocking Teach Your Children would ever show up on one of my playlists). Blowing Up My Mind is the killer track here. It's a northern soul classic wuith a sing song toytown keyboard sound, busy bass, and a great female vocalist who alternately rushes and then relaxes around the vocal line. Even though she's probably having to do it in an effort to squeeze all the words in, it's still a great performance and a great trick.

Frightened is one of my favourite Fall songs (from Live At The Witch Trials), it sounds claustrophobic but teenage defiant with lines like "I've got a fear of midnight when the films close" and "I've got shears pointing straight at my chest, I'm better than them and I think I'm the best".

No comments: