Thursday, July 07, 2005

Ash (and the ancient and noble art of the Yeah)

Watched Ash on Jools Holland (not literally on JH. It was footage of a great performance from last year rather than a pile on), which made me think how much fun it would be to be in that band. Tim can look out at an audience and think "All the girls love me and I write these great chunky pop songs and I 've got a Flying V. Charlotte can think "All the boys love me and I've got an SG." It must also be a comfot to her to know that I would. And indeed I would. Mark the bassist has got a Thunderbird and the Rick the Drummer no longer has a mohican. These are all good things.

Orpheus is a really good song with fine use of "Yeah Yeah Yeah". It is hard to go wrong with those 3 little words. The Yeah has been the English language's gift to pop with prime examples from the Beatles Group to Prince and Alphabet St. Obviously Mony Mony squeezes in more Yeahs and in fact I can't think of a more Yeahtastic song. (Theres about 12 of them between the lines "I said Yeah" and "You make me feel so". )

Ash though are skilled exponants of the Yeah and used it wisely in Oh Yeah (Oh yeah she was taking me over, Oh yeah it was the start of the summer) although if I build too much of a case for the line "Still in her school skirt and summer blouse" then I'm going to sound like a massive pervert....so I'll stick to the yeahs.