Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Devo/Elastica

Devo...Played the first lp, originally issued in a bewildering aray of different coloured vinyls. I didn't buy it at the time, but my older and richer collector mate at school did. So I taped his. He also went to see them and I remember asking what instruments they used, my 14 year old self imagining they must have used strange futuristic instruments. No at Manchester Apollo, they reportedly used "Just normal" instruments. 25
years later and the reissue sounds great.. A look at the Production credits also answers why I asked that question all those years ago. In two words... Brian Eno.
Uncontrollable urge is worth it just for the call and response vocals
"I've got an uncontroallbale urge"
"He's got an uncontrollable urge"

Space junk and Slap your mammy are just excellent sounding space pop songs and can there be a better single than Jocko Homo and Mongoloid? Double A side and doubley offensive

Elastica

Played the first lp this morning....(not that there was any chance of me playing the abominable second album), Line up sounded great, with it's metallic Jean Jaques Burnel bass line. In fact Waking Up owes more than a chorus and riff to No More Heroes and I think it went to court.. Wire definitely got a settlement for the Connection/3 Girl Rhumba ahem tribute.
Annie I like just because it's got a band member name in it. (My favourite example of this though is The Fall's Wonderful And Frightening World album which not only has Stephen Song but also Craigness)

I like Allnighter a lot....not enough Pop Punk songs about going to the allnight garage while trying to cop off.

And then of course theres the serious question that needs resolving.....Indeed I would.

No comments: